Mr. Ruiz-Ayala, senior counsel in the Business and Corporate group, is a seasoned corporate and transactional attorney with extensive experience in the representation of domestic and international private and public sector clients, ranging from start-up companies to public instrumentalities, on a broad range of complex matters, including:
- The structuring and formation of business entities, their capitalization via public offerings and private placements of securities, the negotiation of the relationships among their equity holders and corporate compliance and housekeeping;
- the grant of revolving and fixed-term credit facilities and issuance of debt instruments, on a taxable and tax-exempt basis and, in connection therewith, the negotiation of security interests and encumbrances over personal and real property and the issuance of corporate guarantees, letters of credit and other credit enhancement instruments;
- mergers and acquisitions, asset sales, joint ventures, strategic alliances and affiliations;
- the development and financing of real estate projects, with an emphasis on hospitality properties and specialized residential communities;
- the conduct of corporate and regulatory compliance audits, and the request for licenses, rulings, authorizations and no-action letters from, and filing of periodic reports with, regulators, as required under law or contract or as desirable in furtherance of risk mitigation strategies and the pursuit of best business practices; and
- the negotiation of professional services, consulting, management, critical employment, technical assistance, outsourcing and commercial contracts in general.
A past recipient of the Mitchell J. Weit and Frances M. Weit Fellowship in Health Law awarded by the Beazley Institute for Health Law and Policy of the Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Mr. Ruiz-Ayala also brings to Duggan Bertsch advanced training and expertise on the legal and regulatory frameworks governing the healthcare industry. His practice includes advising individual and institutional providers of healthcare services, suppliers of medical equipment and benefits administrators on a wide-ranging set of corporate and regulatory compliance issues particular to the health industry. Mr. Ruiz-Ayala combines those skills with his training in public administration to assess client organizational and operational patterns against current and anticipated policy trends for risk management, infrastructure development, organizational innovation and strategic planning purposes.
Mr. Ruiz-Ayala has a long history of interfacing with multi-disciplinary teams and government officials in multi-cultural and multi-linguistic environments. Before joining Duggan Bertsch, Mr. Ruiz-Ayala was a capital partner at 120 attorney full-service firm headquartered in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Prior to that, he was an associate attorney at a multinational law firm headquartered in downtown Manhattan. Fluent in both English and Spanish, he has also received formal education and has working knowledge of Portuguese and French.
Mr. Ruiz-Ayala received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in Government from Harvard University, a Juris Doctor degree from Yale Law School, a Master in Public Administration degree from the University of Puerto Rico and a Master of Laws (LLM) in Health Law degree from Loyola University Chicago School of Law. He is admitted to the practice of law in Illinois, New York and Puerto Rico. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, the Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys and the Puerto Rico Bar Association.